Tuesday 10 January 2012

Memories & Mistakes


image courtesy of Corbis

“I think we have to be aware that people are allowed to make mistakes in their life.”

Everyone makes mistakes. Some big, some small, pretty much all embarrassing. Last year was full of them, even for me. Playing the wrong card, at the wrong time, with the wrong person was a pretty much constant theme. Then again, last year was full of extreme changes, big upheavals, and big choices. Even with meticulous planning it’s not possible to foresee the future, and that’s when mistakes happen.

What makes a person strong is having the courage to make mistakes freely, and then keep going. Even after all the heartbreak & heartache, I’m not someone who crumbles. Years of sitting quietly and allowing myself to be pushed around reached a breaking point last year. It didn’t happen all at once, but I started being more vocal about my anger, one situation at a time. In some cases I chose to take the silent path, and just walked away. Not a lot of people understand why, but that’s because they don’t need to.

This year will no doubt be full of just as many mistakes as last year, but this time around I’m meeting them on my own terms. The people who aren’t worth my time won’t have a place in my life, and I won’t be forced into situations that I don’t want to be in. When I make my mistakes this year, it will be because I choose them.  But until that happens, I’m going to float blissfully unaware of what the future holds, and have a lot of fun in the meantime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment