Tuesday 16 October 2012

If I Could Turn Back Time


Hindsight is 20/20, but even though we can see the mistakes we made in the past, should we really be able to go back in time and change them? Literature and film is filled with people who go back in time, and with the exception of Back to the Future and Harry Potter, it generally doesn’t turn out well. People end up dying, madness is rampant, and things end up worse than before. So why this obsession with going back and changing things? I personally prefer to think that my “mistakes” are subconscious right choices that eventually got me to the place that I needed to be in the present.

Spending most of high school allowing myself to be bullied by my so-called best friend: that was just prepping me to be able to spot a emotionally-abusive user at 100 paces. Those weekends spent dancing on the front lawn to tacky 90s music and watching Hit List on Friday nights: that was just giving me some hilarious dance moves. That breakup that came from nowhere: set me free to meet the men of my future, who I’ll be far more honest with. That high school obsession with Inuyasha: it taught me to value subtitled foreign movies, opened me up to a rather interesting culture, and led me to learn Japanese.

I may have fucked up royally in my past, but when it comes down to it I’m sure as hell happy with who I am today. Sure, there are things in my past that make me angry or teary-eyed, but the bad memories make the good ones even sweeter and they’re what pushes me to make every day better than the last. 


Okay, maybe I'll turn back time, and listen to this song over and over again :p

No comments:

Post a Comment