Tuesday 8 January 2013

The Start of Something New


2012 was one of the messiest years I’ve ever had, but it was also one of the most fun.

I got straight As for the first time since high school; not because I tried harder, but because my brain just connects with Dewey Decimal & cataloguing in a way that depressing American poets and European dictators can’t. I may have doubted my chosen path last year for a moment, but my mother was always right when she said that they should just give me a small third world country to organize.

I read more books this year than I have since I was homeschooled; not because I meant to, but because sometimes life is just like that. I chose to explore the magical worlds between the leather-bound covers rather than the city streets around me, because literature is where my home is, no matter how disconnected I feel with my current living situation.

I fell in and out of “like” 3 times this year; not because I wanted to fall in love, but because I decided to take the risk that I haven’t in a long time. My heart was never on the table (since it belongs to me, and I won’t ever give it away), but sometimes its nice to have new people to have adventures with. If nothing else, I remembered that everything is temporary and that the people who matter stay in my life for a reason.

2013 is going to be one for the record books, since my future has never been more undecided. Everything around me is telling me to take big risks, because the risks are what makes the outcome worth it, and for once I am absolutely going for it. 

Starships were meant to fly, and so shall I. 

image from Tumblr
[beautiful] words by Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment