Tuesday 11 June 2013

Photoshop This!


Since body image has been on the minds of many bloggers recently I figured that I would jump on the bandwagon and showcase an awesome Tumblr-trend that is going on right now – all thanks to Amanda Palmer (who I honestly wouldn’t know existed, except that she’s married to Neil Gaiman). The short story is that people all over Tumblr are posting photos of their bodily imperfections – be they scars, cellulite, love handles, etc – along with the hashtag “Photoshop This!” in an effort to show the media (who are notorious for over-Photoshopping celebs) that people are okay with imperfection.

We all have something that we don’t like about our bodies, and maybe it’s time that the media realizes that we’re all okay with not looking like plastic dolls. Sure, I Photoshop a zit or two out before I post photos to the internet (they’re temporary anyways), but you’ll never catch me tweaking my nose or lip shape, or taking off a few pounds around the waist. Not that I’m not tempted to some days, but I have no idea how to do that on Photoshop anyways, and I don’t really care. What issues I have with my body type I can easily hide anyways through clever tricks such as finding the right angle to elongate my neck & jaw, wearing clothes that emphasize the correct bodyparts, and using bronzer to create creekbones.

Though, I will admit, the jury is still out on what I’m going to do about the facial scar that I acquired through the annoyingly embarrassing accident a month ago. Thankfully it didn’t make an appearance on film due to my camera angle, and people tell me it’s not that prominent, but I’m sure it’s lurking there below my lip - waiting to make it’s internet debut…

To Photoshop, or not to Photoshop, that is the question…

No comments:

Post a Comment