Tuesday 17 December 2013

Hi, my Name is Jaimie, and I'm a Book Addict


I may be known to the wider world as a shopaholic & a shoe girl, but my first love was (and always will be) books. My idea of a perfect Friday night is spending it with a 2 foot stack of library books, and I often refer to my social life as “cutting into my reading time.” Clearly I have a problem. Then again, as addictions go, it’s a pretty tolerable one because my substance of choice is free (woohoo libraries), I’m kept out of trouble, and it increases brain cells instead of destroys them. If you want to see how deep my affection for books goes take a look at my Goodreads account (there’s a link under the socialize page), but I’ll start you off with an example of my 5 top books this year!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
No top 5 book list is complete without an entry from the ever-popular Neil Gaiman, and I was super glad that his latest adult publication stands up to his past reputation of awesomeness. The Ocean draws themes from a lot of his other novels, but the story still stands up well on its own. Many have called him a modern-day myth maker, and this book proves once again that his stories are ones for the ages.

Vader’s Little Princess by Jeffrey Brown
I knew before I even picked up this book that it was going to be hilarious. Darth Vader with a teenage daughter is an alternate universe that really should have come to fruition in a sit com. Then again, the single page sketches perfectly contain Brown’s witty and satirical prose, so this format was perfect as a dose of laughs.

            Tim Gunn’s Fashion Bible by Tim Gunn
I read a lot of fashion books this year (thanks to the inter-library loans at Dalhousie and the surprisingly robust fashion collection at the Regina Public Library), but the most amusing, well-written, and helpful of the lot was penned by style guru Tim Gunn. The pages may not be filled with beautiful fashion photography – I got my fix of that elsewhere – but Gunn’s knowledge of fashion history and the development of trends lends itself to extremely well placed advice. Plus it’s organized into easily referenced chapters for each kind of clothing – and you know I love me some organization!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobosky
I shall confess: I was badly behaved and watched the movie before I read the book. Thankfully Chobosky had a lot of influence on the film, so I found myself remembering parts of the film as I read the book because they were so similar. Even when the two formats differed (translating speech from books to film is tricky) I found that they both evoked similar feelings, whether they were laughter or tears, and was very glad for this synergy.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
There has been a lot of drivel published in the teen fantasy genre in recent years (I blame the advent of Twilight entirely), so I was utterly surprised when I found myself spellbound by this novel. Taylor’s lush mythlogy and well-written prose redeems the entire genre, and goes to prove that there are decent urban fantasy books out there – they’re just a little bit hidden. Considering how well this book seems to be faring on the ratings charts it would not surprise me if it was the beginning of a new supernatural being popularity change. Get on the band wagon now, or you’ll definitely regret it!

all images from Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment