Sunday 8 December 2013

Hopeless Wanderer: a Sunday Shoe Story



The great thing about moving to a city that is known for its freezing temperatures is that it gave me an excuse to buy a new pair of boots. I haven’t owned “real” winter boots since… well, since my parents used to drag me on Christmas day hikes and made me walk up a mountain to school. (Welcome to Kamloops). Which definitely ended as soon as I acquired a permanent bus pass, learned to drive, and then escaped the wintry hell of central interior BC.

I figured that if I had to buy winter boots that I should get good ones. Name brand stuff, rated for -40°C and waterproof as well in the off chance that there’s a flash heat wave while I’m at work.

I know, I know, but a girl can dream, can’t she?

So on the day that my chauffeur was in town (read: father) we made sure to hit up a few sporting goods stores in the hopes of scooping some decent boots for me. Don’t worry, he was happy to do so because he got to spend an hour in Capella’s, which is basically an outdoorsman’s version of shopping heaven. (And my personal version of hell, since the place is literally filled with camouflage everything and taxidermied animals are waiting around every corner).

In the third store I finally found this pair of Sorels, which much to my surprise came in a rather chic colour as well as were on sale! Apparently my shopping karma has finally caught up with me, since I haven’t had this much good luck since I left the West Coast two years ago and lost my shoe luck along the way! Now I can wander my way through the Regina icelands (or at least to the library) and my feet will be nice and toasty warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment